How to apply for Culinary School in France?

"Your imagination can give you wings" By Banksy, 2013 on the way to Bath, UK Once you have decided which school, it’s time ...


"Your imagination can give you wings" By Banksy, 2013 on the way to Bath, UK
Once you have decided which school, it’s time to look into the application process. In my case I am applying for FERRANDI but I have noticed most culinary schools in France have a very similar admission procedure as below. I’m using FERRANDI as an example:


Admissions Procedure
  • Application requirements for the Intensive Professional Programs in English are as follows:
  • 2 recommendation letters (preferably relevant to the culinary field or to previous work experience) - in English, on letterhead, signed by the referee and including his/her contact information
  • An essay explaining the candidate’s motivations for applying, his/her career intentions, previous experience and why he/she has chosen FERRANDI - in English
  • A resumĂ© - in English
  • Official transcripts from previous studies
  • Photocopy of passport
  • 1 passport photo
  • A non-refundable 150 Euros application fee (by credit card, wire transfer or international bank check)


It is pretty simple and straightforward, I got my 2 recommendation letters from my work even though they’re not in the culinary field . As stated above, you can get your teacher or work to write you the letter.


Next thing that is a bit more tricky is the motivation statement. FERRANDI required a 2-3 page statement with the below factors:


  • Reason for applying the course
  • Background
  • Past experience
  • Professional Goal
  • How you learn about the school
  • Why you choose this school


I think this is what the school uses to evaluate whether you are suitable for the course. In the beginning, I was concerned about what to write but then luckily, I had my friends who helped me proofread to see if I made sense of myself. I suggest the same to you if you are applying for culinary school, get your friends or family who know you very well to read through the statement.


I know many people who want to go to culinary school have no previous culinary related experience, myself included. So I wrote about how I created a blog and shared recipes of what I have made in the past or what I have created. Also, stating that I have joined and participated in various recipe competitions. I suggest just writing anything you can think of to do with your pastry passion, even a charity cupcake day will do!


Be careful to check the application deadline, I have heard sometimes they do accept late applications. However, due to limited space per class, there is the possibility that the class is full already if you apply late.


For FERRANDI, I applied in June for the February intake in the next year. I have never been so nervous that every morning when I open my eyes, the first thing I do is to check my e-mail. I got my acceptance letter on 20th July, just before everyone in France started their month-long summer holiday.


After the acceptance letter, there will be clear instructions on how to pay for tuition and other general information such as visa, accommodation, opening bank accounts and insurance etc.

Now, you are one step closer to your dream!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images